Thursday, January 7, 2010

Smooth Ride

Someone told me that upon arrival if it is raining, the Island is welcoming you...well let's just say the Island was ecstatic to have me here. Dad and Liz picked me up from the airport with plans to visit a few beaches on the way home, specifically to find BIG shells. Well my dad and I attempted to get out on the beach, unfortunately the rain pounced all over us and before long we were on our way to what would now be my new home.

It's all a bit overwhelming but everything seems to be falling into place. I think that reality will hit shortly; I am on amazingly beautiful island, I am working and making money while I get to travel around the world, I get to be with family, I get to meet more amazing people and friends. I don't know if most people get to experience such a great opportunity in their lives, and I am so grateful for this time. One day I will settle down somewhere permanent?? At least my dad hopes so ;)

The last 5 days I have seen:
  • Muruwai Beach - Gannets
  • Orewa Beach - Wenderholm
  • Takapuna Beach
  • Manukau Harbor - Cornwallace
  • Devonport Beach - walked through a bed of live sand dollars, kind of freaky!



Accomplishments of this week:
  1. Job - start working Monday :) Jan 11
  2. Friends - made at least 1 friend and went to singles activity
  3. Cell phone - got a number and pre-paid phone for my 'friends' to get a hold of me ;) hehe
  4. Bus pass - made my way around Auckland all by myself...eke.

As of today, I felt I have learned a few lessons on life:

Relationships are hard, especially when you are together 24/7, but it is worth it for the companionship, caring and love, you just have to choose your battles. People all over the world are good and have amazing hearts. Anthropology fascinates me! Change is good for the soul.


Upon arrival, Auckland Airport 5 am

...and the rains come down

Tidal Wave

Tiki Post

Gannets



they say more sheep than people...this is a start.

Rangitoto across the way from the Takapuna Beach



Picture this - Orewa

Devonport - Big guns

Bay of sand dollars, every step we took!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

It looks so beautiful there. I love the tidal wave picture. Classic. You are a lucky girl!

Kevin and Jamie said...

Hey I did not know that you had a blog untul I checked Lindseys!!! We have one too, kjhargreaves.blogspot.com check it out I am so excited to follow your adventtures in New Zealand on your blog now!! Love ya!